As Mandela said: It is in your hands to make of the world a better place. Take action and inspire change by making a difference in their communities!
If you would like to donate your own time to public service, here are some things you can do to take action and inspire change:
- Make a new friend. Meet and get to know better someone from different background as you. Give that person a chance to prove you that is a good friend, spend some time to understand and share some insights about you. Because only through mutual understanding and supporting, we can overcome intolerance, hate speech and xenophobia.
- Help out at the local animal shelter. Dogs without homes still need a walk and a bit of love.
- Help someone get a job. Put together and print a CV for them, or help them with their interview skills.
- Many terminally ill people have no one to speak to. Take a little time to have a chat and bring some sunshine into their lives.
- Speak with some older and lonely person, show that person that you care
- Take someone you know, who can’t afford it, to get their eyes tested or their teeth checked.
- Buy a few blankets, or grab the ones you no longer need from home and give them to someone in need.
- Donate clothes you no longer use
- Exchange or donate books
Today we should all ask ourselves: What have I done to improve the surroundings in which I live? Do I litter or do I protect my surroundings? Do I buy stolen goods or do I help reduce crime? – Nelson Mandela
Happy Nelson Mandela International Day!